Thursday, May 20, 2004

The Dust Has Begun To Settle

This is the third morning since I've been back in Seattle and things haven't yet fallen into place. The oddities began to creep up on me the instant I arrived at the airport. Being finger-printed, checked by customs, made to feel like a second-class, underprivileged citizen and I still hadn't hit the road. And the drive back, geez - people driving in lanes, open spaces, clear-blue skies, no honking, no manic over-taking - where was I? Bombay figuratively seemed miles away.

Entered my apartment and was shocked at how un-chaotic things were in my life in Seattle. Everything I needed was in its place, a place I knew of. If I didn't have something, I knew I didn't and would have to make a trip to the grocery store. The need to ask my mom if something existed was totally obviated, there was no mom who stashed seemingly unnecessary things in the many vaults around the house. And then loneliness struck...

To say that I am lonely here would be incorrect. I have friends, colleagues and work but after being with family for the better part of 4 weeks, there is a void that just can't be filled by friends. Most people tell me that after the passage of a week, I'll get used to their absence and suck it up. Cest La Vie or so they keep harping on. I wonder though, is the compromise worth it?

And what about the beast they call jetlag? It's been 3 days since I've woken up before 7am and been dead asleep by 10pm. I couldn't keep my eyes open through Kill Bill Vol 2 the night before last. Has it affected my squash game? Yesterday was my first foray back on the courts and how I sucked :) I still had some touch but not enough, not enough at all. Another week and I should be ready to fire on all cylinders.

And finally, I'd like to thank everyone who made Bombay a memorable experience. Barring the usual suspects, this time around was made special by the travels around the country. Here goes though; Rachna, Nikhil, Vishaka, Shyamal, Nandu, Mayur, Gaurav, my parents and family. You are all very special...

Edits: Thanks to super brain, "rapid english speaking course in american accent"-taker Nandu! So see, someone actually does read updates ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment