Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Home, home in the subcontinent

Bombay just rules, especially at this time of the year. The weather is pleasant, the wind balmy and the hours just melt away when spent with family. But...

I've noticed somet things about the Indian populace and their psyche this time that have made me sit up and wonder. The alarming realization that ours is a society that prides itself in being shallow, outwardly progressive but inwardly conservative and our perennial obsession with being "hip" shouted out to me from the pages of The Mid-day on my flight in to Bombay from Amsterdam. And the surprises didn't stop there.

The continuous barrage of questions about what I've done to my appearance, why I have a beard, why I have put on weight, why am I working out so much - why why why - are beginning to border on the annoying. Let me be please...

It's not all bad at home, please don't get me wrong. Being a tester makes me critical; there is a lot to write home about, it just doesn't make for good reading :) What can I say about the simple life here, about the creature comforts that living with family brings with it, about the doting parents and loving brother that you haven't read/heard before? But wait, this isn't about grabbing attention, it's about sharing my experiences. So here's the bottom-line, Bombay rocks with all its flaws because it's where my family is, it's where my home is!!

My time at this cyber cafe has run out and it's now time to go for my dance practice. But first, a quick trip to my mom's store so I can get some moolah from her and drink my favourite Strawberry Milkshake at McDonalds :)

No comments:

Post a Comment