Sunday, March 27, 2005

Comparisons

What's new - I can't sleep - it's 5AM and I can't sleep. Karan and I had an argument a few hours ago on something minor and that's started a bunch of threads of thought in my head. One revolves around his behaviour and most all the others, around mine. The last thing he said of any significance was, "Why does everything have to be a comparison?".

I don't think everything has to be or is a comparison but I'll agree and say a lot of things are just that - comparisons. Sometimes they are healthy and other times they are not. I know this is something I need to work on and I have - some things just don't bother me as much as they used to; I've learnt to pick my battles, so to speak. But there are some instances when comparisons are inevitable...

Why are they inevitable? Well, because it is in our nature as human beings to compare, rarely if ever for the right things. It's what keeps us going, it's what drives us to scale greater heights. This isn't a cop out mind you, this behaviour is deeply entrenched in our psyche and social fabric - I've witnessed comparisons since I can remember: "Why wasn't I invited?", "Why does he have a cool office?", "Why is he getting a raise?", etc, etc.

I've seen that making a comparison, especially when you compare someone's behaviour with your own, often provides the person you are arguing with a means of escape. This is something I'm going to keep my eyes open for but I know I can't totally stop. To some extent, this is what gives me some of my MOJO...

No comments:

Post a Comment