Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The View from the Other Side

It's about 10 months since I've become a team lead. With the passage of time, I've started to realize some changes in my perspective on issues, especially those relating to work. For instance, I used to come in every morning between 11 and 12 when I was an individual contributor. Now, it is rare that I come in after 10:30. If I come in later than that, I actually feel guilty about being a slacker. I've realized the value of being accountable for my actions, and become more cautious with my choice of words in email and verbal communication. I'll be the first to say that there have been times when my priorities in the past have needed alignment. Though this statement holds true today, I make more of an effort to prioritize correctly and continue to get better. In my mind, I can sleep a happy person if I've shown improvement in specific areas associated with time management.

What does stand out as the biggest change in my view finder is my ability to look at the broader ramifications of a situation. I've started to get a glimpse of the bigger picture and understand how everything fits together. Sometimes, the best decision doesn't abide by the Ideal Engineer's Manual. I've learnt that this is totally acceptable and can prove to be the master stroke...

No comments:

Post a Comment