Monday, August 28, 2006

Stringing thoughts together

It's another Monday and I am both swamped and swept away by the amount of work that has piled up. My eyes are bloodshot, meetings have drained me of vital mental resources and I can't wait to leave this place to get on to the squash court. There is a storm warning in the Gulf Coast for this upcoming weekend so our plans to go to Miami for Labor Day might be in jeopardy. Aah, the best way to start a new week...

As I look back on the day, I realize that today is uniquely different from other Mondays for two reasons. First, I have started chronicling my activities through the day on an hourly basis. This is a first step prompted by my curiosity to determine what it is that constitutes Manoj's "humdrum" routine. If doing this helps me identify the hours that I while away, I could put them to better use - for instance, go to the gym during work and have my evenings to indulge in other activities. If not, I'll at least have the satisfaction that my time at work is well spent.

The second reason for why this day is unique is because of a realization - I can't stand incompetence. What grinds my gears even more is when incompetent people get paid the big bucks. Something is broken in the process when incompetence gets rewarded and I wish I could fix this. Alas, I can't because I don't quite have that power, YET! So for now, I have resolved to not assist in the furthering of these incompetent individuals. Let everyone be exposed for what they are worth and be rewarded accordingly. When I checked last, this was a meritocracy; is that just a figment of my imagination?

No comments:

Post a Comment