Thursday, March 25, 2004

Thank God! No Open Source Java...

As this article offiicially states, Java is not going to be open-sourced. This from someone who loved(s) the language, I believe that this is going to be a good move in the long term. I see the state of many open source projects and the unnecessary hair-splitting over trivial issues and get infuriated enough to not want to use open-source products. There is some truth to what Scott says in his interview:
“We’re trying to understand what problem does it solve that is not already solved,” McNealy said.
I haven't had a chance to really follow Java's development since I started working at Microsoft and know that I totally missed out on the Web Services development wave but oh well - can't specialize in everything now can I? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment