Friday, November 27, 2020

iPhone as webcam for macOS for free ($0.00)

Welcome to everyone working from home who wants to reuse their old iPhone (iPhone 6 owners like me) as a webcam vs. buying a USB camera that needs a USB-A port that my MacBook Air/Pro just doesn't have (even with a dongle, these are premium ports).

Here's how I set myself up (all product links are direct, not affiliate):

1. Bought a gooseneck webcam mount from Amazon. Only paid item here: $9.49 (with 5% coupon).
2. Downloaded the Iriun iOS app
3. Download the Iriun installer for MacOS (or Windows).
4. Fire up Zoom and check for updates; install updates if there are any. 

Once you have installed the macOS application, you might have to reboot your computer for Zoom to recognize the newly available video source. With the software downloaded, you are ready to go:

1. Setup your mount
2. Start the Iriun app on your iphone
3. Start the Iriun app on your Mac
4. Start Zoom, select the Irium camera as your source.

If you prefer video instructions, the Think Media team created one just for you: Smartphone as Webcam

Here are pictures of my setup:

I haven't found a simpler and cheaper setup than this for Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Skype. I haven't tried this with Google's videoconferencing solution, so YMMV. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment