Tuesday, June 20, 2006

All in a Day's Work

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.


Yesterday was work from home day. I had to catch up on a lot of reading, papers, specs and reviews, that needed me to be in environs conducive to focused activity. The office isn't really suited to reading for two reasons. 1stly, the ergonomics and lighting just aren't right for reading. 2ndly, there are too many distractions within an arm's reach - Outlook, the Internet, Meetings, TP with colleagues...

Spending the day at home also let me catch up on some much needed rest after an eventful weekend. Ishmeet stayed at my place over the weekend and aside from the usual ridic Saturday night activities, we were up and about on Sunday too so I didn't really get a chance to recharge. In its defence, Sunday was an action-packed day - we watched the Brasil game, hung out by the tennis courts at the Pro, cooked dinner and watched 40 Year Old Virgin. Come to think of it, the movie really tired me out; the three of us couldn't wait for it to end! Apart from a few funny scenes, it was onerous to sit through and the running time was more than 2 hours. Holy smokes!

Waking up early these days has done wonders for my mood specifically and for my productivity at large. Working from home had the ancillary (and unexpected) consequence of relaxing and invigorating my system. I made it to my meetings on time, had good discussions with my people on future assignments and caught up on email. I need to figure out what role I am to play in the coming months as we wrestle with the design of new components. Knowing my propensity to check out when so much is changing (we are in the planning phase which is characterized by change), I am going to stay vigilant and keep my focus in the upcoming months. Hopefully the effort pays off and I can make a lasting contribution to our future releases.

No comments:

Post a Comment