Sunday, September 19, 2004

Chai Rediscovered and Reciped - Manoj style!

BITS, Pilani was a haven for tea drinkers. Nagerji's special chai (Rs 3 - which at that time seemed a fortune) was renowned for its punch and full bodied flavour and he was just one among twenty outlets for tea on campus. Coffee, and good coffee at that, was hard to come by. Add to that the high price-tag (Rs 5) and coffee was in another stratosphere of drinks, a treat to be enjoyed only with certain company :)

Fast-forward to my days in the US, especially Seattle, which is the coffee capital of America. Till a few months ago, I hadn't drunk tea since my days in Pilani. Coffee was the drink de rigeur, it helped me start everyday. Till I started hanging out with Heedz, that is. She'd make chai everytime I'd visit her place and we'd yakk about this and that. That's when I realized, if made right, chai dain't taste that bad after all.

After some experimentation with the measure of ingredients, I've found the recipe that works for me:

1/2 Cup Water
3/5 Cup Milk - alright, I like my drinks milky :p
1 Teaspoon Tea - I'd go with Society in Bombay and Taj Mahal anywhere else
1 Teaspoon Sugar
1 Clove
1 piece of Cardamom (is it called a clove?)
Some Tea Masala for added punch

Crush the cardamom and clove. Add the water, tea and sugar into a pot and bring to a boil. Add milk - bring to a boil again. Once the brew is boiling, add the masala and crushed spices to the mix and let simmer for a couple of seconds. Strain and pour a cup of hot, tasty CHAI...

No comments:

Post a Comment