Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Maybe it's time...

That I started writing again. After a "long" hiatus of three weeks, I think I am back in the groove of things here in Seattle. I uploaded the pictures from my trip on to my computer but need to weed out the blurry and redundant ones. There are also some pictures missing from this trip, for instance, the ones from my birthday so gotta find those. Oh well, it feels weird to write about the mundane.

I watched a very disturbing episode of CSI last night, at the end of which, Gil Grissom very eloquently summarized the problem with American culture today. He said (sic.),
The truth is, a moral compass can only point you in the right direction, it can't make you go there. Our culture preaches that you shouldn't be ashamed of anything you do anymore. And unfortunately this city is built on the principle that there's no such thing as guilt. "Do whatever you want, we won't tell."
Not having someone point me in a particular direction allows me to make my choices as I deem fit. This lifestyle is such a contrast to life in India, where there is always someone looking over my shoulder. Having to think through how my entire extended family (in Bombay) will perceive my actions is reason enough to not do something remotely sacrilegious. Since there are no such compunctions in America, I tend to lead quite a profligate life. I wonder if I'll ever buckle down...

No comments:

Post a Comment