Monday, May 22, 2006

A Weekend Sans Alcohol

I'll rephrase that - a weekend without shameless alcohol consumption. I had a solitary Long Island on Friday night that hit me quick and gave me just the right buzz for the rest of the night. I was DD for the night so there was no point in indulging myself anymore. The no-alcohol wasn't the only first this weekend. Saturday was a picture perfect day - the sun was out in force and a balmy breeze blew wherever I went. And I went places...

I was invited to spend Saturday evening at Cia's grandparent's house. True to form, I got lost on my way there because of bad directions. When I got there though, it was so worth the drive and getting lost. The simple exterior of the house belied what was inside - a quaint and eclectic collection of goodies from all over the world. The gold plated Buddha statue smack in the pathway to the living room caught my attention as I walked in but that was just one of the myriad items that caught my gaze. Art, trinkets, arcade games, rare wines - you name it and that house had it; a true collector's paradise. One look and you'd think everything was strewn around the place but to a more observant eye, there seemed to be a method behind the madness. I felt like a 5 year old in a museum...

We popped open a bottle of what I consider the best sparkling white wine I have had before we sat out to enjoy the sounds of the lake lapping against the marina in the sunshine. An hour passed by in a hurry as we caught up; we had to go our own ways for dinner, which to be honest had me bummed. I wanted to spend more time by the water but can you blame me?

The drive to Puyallup is worth it for just one thing - the opportunity to chat on the phone (like I need more phone talk time). The three kiddies had ganged up and conned me into driving all the way to hang with them and eat home-cooked food. As payback, they'd wash my car, which seemed like a reasonable exchange.

We added a new activity to our short list - basketball. I got my first lesson in the ways of the game but I suck at it so much that it's going to take a herculean effort on my part to become decent at this sport. It's nothing like I have played before so I'm starting from scratch. Contrast that with football, which I also started playing only this year - the MO in football is throw-catch-run, something that I have been doing since I could walk.

We ate, washed my car and headed to a nearby park to get in a game of 2 on 2 football. The two boys are really competitive and after Junior and I pummeled them the last time we played, they were raring for a rematch. They lost again; Junior and I handed them a humiliating 6-2 defeat. And yeah their touchdowns were definitely tainted.

Something has to fill the void left by lack of partying - in this particular case, we had to make do with milk-shakes and dvds. A History of Violence had its moments - all the fight sequences ended up with someone being killed (awesemo) but the movie lacked pace. I felt like I was on a bad roller-coaster ride - the thrills were few and too far between to keep me engrossed. Ball and Chain on the other hand was a complete disaster. Even Lisa Ray's presence couldn't redeem the movie - 'nuff said. And yeah Lisa, what's with those gross pads?

What's a week in Seattle without randomly shifting weather patterns? It rained for the most part on Sunday so I couldn't do anything outdoors. The drive back from Puyallup was fun though because of all the hydroplaning and rally style driving. I got home, ate and passed out till I received a phone call, which only served as my wake-up call (cuz precious nothing was said). I ended up watching CSI for a bit and picked up "The Kite Runner" again. So engrossing it was that I was out like a light three pages into the book. A Must Read I tell you, especially for those with insomnia issues - this book will cure your sleeping problems! :) Have a good week...

No comments:

Post a Comment