Monday, May 08, 2006

To Tacoma We Shall Go

The weekend hadn't been going too well. The Cinco De Mayo festivities weren't worth writing about and I spent Saturday catching up on lost sleep. Later that night, after I was done singing Karaoke at Nir's birthday party, I headed to Twist. The place is huge, the music isn't very loud and people are conversing everywhere. I just wasn't in the zone, was a little sleepy and didn't drink any alcohol that night. As has become a ritual, we went to Broadway Grill for some food and more chit-chat. When I finally slept at 6am on Sunday morning, I considered Sunday to be a lost cause.

By noon on Sunday, I had spoken to my parents in Bombay, to Gundapps in Dallas and was walking towards my car to drive to Arash's place in Tacoma. Arash, Jyot and Puneet had called me earlier in the day and given me directions to their place. Puneet's car was stuck because she broke the garage door so I was to transport them around the area. Free taxi service anyone?!

The drive to Tacoma was a pain - it was raining, there was a lot of traffic and idiots were driving below the speed limit in the extreme left lane. Food arrived just as I got to my destination so I didn't complain much. Clearly, I was crabby because I hadn't eaten anything all morning so I got cheerier after the hearty meal. It did help some that the sun decided to show its face through the dispersing rain clouds.

We played two touch football, washed my car (it looks like new now), played a set of tennis (Marina and Puneet vs Arash and Manoj - the boys won emphatically) and did some crazy driving maneuvers before it was time for dinner. Okra is one of my favourites and it was on the menu with lentils and rotis - simple, indian fare but very satisfying nonetheless. We went to the beach for a short while after dinner and then I drove back home.

What I thought would be a washout turned into a memorable day. I really enjoy spending time with the kids because they are hella cool and I don't take offence to almost anything. I wanted to be around people yesterday and my wish was granted. To think my day started with the sad news that my grandfather expired, I didn't expect the day to end on the note that it did. Thanks kids, you made my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment