Sunday, January 28, 2007

2 Weeks in Bombay

This past week has been both hectic and relaxed. Vishaka finally got married; I say finally because this is a moment she's been waiting for 11 years to occur. At the ordained moment, as she was to step into her new life, all she could muster were tears. I reckon her happiness was bittersweet but that's just the way it is - leaving one life for another is upheaval worth crying for.

Being plagued by a severe cough and cold for the better part of this week has hampered my ability to be productive on too many fronts. I did get some key things done despite the illness, the changing weather and the impossible traffic - got a visa appointment (the 31st), attended every marriage function, actually helped with the arrangements and finally, played a sport five out of seven days. What's definitely worth mentioning in this space is my email processing capability away from work - it has been rare for me to be this quick to respond so maybe this is a cue for me to work remotely more often. Praise the Lord for Outlook working over an HTTP connection.

So what else have I done this week? Oh yeah, I participated in one of the legs of the Mumbai Marathon. That experience stands out as one of the best ways I have spent a Sunday morning. The people of the city wore a different face that day - the anger and rage-ridden persona was supplanted by one of passion and exuberance, tolerance and enthusiasm. It gave me hope and made me want to do this every year. If only the people of my city (and this country) could have the spirit and attitude of those I ran with on the 21st of January 2007, India would be a better place to live in.

We got to the marathon grounds at 6:45am for a race that started at 9am. Punita was organising the event so we had access to a VIP lounge where we ate breakfast (eggs with shrooms and freshly squeezed orange juice - yumm) and watched the event being televised on multiple flat screen TVs. I marveled at how advanced and tech-savvy India has become - some of the gizmos they have here haven't made their way to the US yet. What is even more astounding is the buying power of the Indian populace - it far outstrips that of the average American; this could be partially because of the need to show-off but there is no denying the fact that more people can now be accorded the status of "Rich". Nikhil and I finished separated by five minutes and my mom made it past the finish line maybe 20 minutes after the two of us were done. All in all, a memorable experience.

Drove around Bombay this evening to find a place to sit down and drink coffee. Getting to know a new person is always a challenge; it becomes less daunting when a common thread emerges during initial conversations; it becomes a pleasure when even pregnant pauses are sheer bliss. Well, I can't say how high on the totem pole I made it today but I guess time will tell...

1 comment:


  1. "If only the people of my city (and this country) could have the spirit and attitude of those I ran with on the 21st of January 2007, India would be a better place to live in."

    AMEN !!!


    Came across your blog when out of sheer boredom was searching for the word BC in google.

    ReplyDelete