Wednesday, June 23, 2004

The Return of the Internet Explorer - Itself?!

I initially thought what I read was just a rumour - the IE team, resurrected?! The rumour carries more weight (and credibility maybe) now that CNet News has posted a story on the same topic. Let me start with the now famous joke - A Secure IE is an oxy-moron - which isn't true anymore. I have been using IE (with Windows XP SP 2) at work and find that the Security settings are extremely stringent. ActiveX controls, active scripting, scripts accessing the local file system and pop-ups are blocked in the new IE by default. No content is downloaded to the local machine without prior user consent - this is a huge leap in the forward direction but has started drawing flak from website developers. I think is lame - Microsoft can't seem to do anything right for these whiny asses :)

Now that IE is air-tight from a security standpoint, I'd like most to see renewed standards support in IE and shorter page load times. The Mozilla Firefox evangelism website touts several advantages of Firefox over IE - Firefox is my browser of choice these days so my comments might be subjective. Though the IE team can choose to look the other way, I feel they should beat Firefox at its own game - implement all of Firefox's features and add a couple more. After this initial spate of implementation work, the team should wait for Firefox to do something new and innovative again at which time the IE team goes back to work. And pray tell me, why shouldn't IE mock Firefox? Firefox doled the exact same treatment to IE - copied every feature from IE (down to the same keyboard shortcuts) but added some of its own too, creating a strong value proposition to SWITCH to Firefox. I'm sure this question is on your mind; does IE need to do this and how much must it do to win over 4% of the community that uses Firefox? Trust me, a WHOLE LOT! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment