Friday, June 04, 2004

Sun: No decision on open-source Java

Contrary to the reports published on News websites and prominently linked to by Slashdot, Sun hasn't made any decision on whether it wants to Open Source Java.
On Friday, Gosling confirmed that Sun had still not made a decision on whether or not to open-source Java. "Despite any of the articles, the debate is still going on, fast and furious," he said via e-mail.
There was a time when I was an avid Java programmer but not being in touch with the language for 2 years has made my knowledge archaic. I owe a lot to my years programming in Java though, the depth of Object Oriented programming skills I acquired by learning, reading and experimenting in Java is immeasurable. I for one am not in favour of the language being open sourced because from my experience with Open Source, more is said and less is done. And with a few exceptions, customer focus is nearly non-existent. What Java needs is direction right now in its fight for survival against the C# and .Net juggernaut, not randomization and anarchy...

No comments:

Post a Comment