Monday, June 07, 2004

Weekend notes...

Watching a movie on Friday night was a ritual until six months ago. Karan, Karan, Darwin and I usually checked out the latest release of the week on Friday after the gym and some dinner. This past week marked the resumption of that ritual for me, the only variation in the theme being dinner at home for me - personally I've stopped liking eating out. The food's boring and insipid and I leave with the feeling that I ate too much, enjoyed too little and definitely can do better than the chef. Time to cook at home now...

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was what we decided to see this past Friday. The actual venue of the movie changed time and again with the boys deciding against driving to the West Side. I've realized that very few people I know actually like driving over to the West Side. I'm sure it's not just the drive that deters people from venturing out into the city - what it exactly is, I have no clue... We walked into a packed house, by East-side standards atleast. I hadn't seen the cinema at Crossroads this full since I saw Return of the King so I was anticipating a fun movie. And then, the picture rolled...

The movie lacked consistency; interesting in patches and boring through the rest of the reel. The story trudged along at a snail's pace with there being coarse continuity between events. There would be action-packed scenes that would build the momentum but then all would be wasted over ten minutes of pointless story-telling. The guy who killed Harry's parents has escaped from the prison at Azkaban and is now purportedly out to get Harry. Harry is attacked on his way to school by the Dementa, he finds a map, learns new incantations and Harmoine is everywhere. Some hocus-pocus, quiddich, lessons, an over-grown chicken and credits later, the movie was over. But the ordeal lasted near damn two hours and then some. The last of the Harry Potter adventures I'm going to pay to watch...

Saturday was supposed to be rained out and it did rain, for all of 1 hour all day. The "weathermen" in the US simply suck - they can't tell weather to save their life. I wonder what the requirements for being a weatherman are - "Umm, if you can't find any other job, have no qualifications but can talk with poise in front of a camera, the job is yours! You never need to predict anything correctly because the nature of weather is such that it's dynamic." Oh well, spent most of the day shopping in Costco, Trader Joe's and Target because I hadn't made plans to go out. This was a much needed shopping trip though; I had gone without any substantial groceries for near three weeks.

Sunday was a pretty chill day - I shaved, watched some TV, lost my ladder match to Khaled and tucked in early. Enough with the complaining; honestly, I couldn't ask for more from a weekend. I got a lot of down-time, shopping done, work done, reading done and best of all, I felt recharged. I can't wait for the next weekend and do some of the stuff again. Ummm, except maybe losing the squash match but oh well, I can only get better!

1 comment:

  1. did you read the book at all? did you watch the earlier movies? what's with the complaining about anything and everything?? i mean of all the things...the weathermen?? c'mon...get a life!

    ReplyDelete