Monday, October 11, 2004

c:\> kill * is BAiiiiD

I just created a stress app on my machine and it ended up spawning too many cmd windows with the title - fooclient.exe

I wanted to kill all these fooclients because they weren't very useful (I goofed up) and so I opened up the trusty command line and wanted to find out if I could supply a wildcard to the kill command. So I go:

c:\> kill
missing pid or task name

I want to then type, kill /? but instead, in the hurry of things I type:

c:\> kill *

That's when all hell broke lose. All processes except System Idle Process got terminated - the RPC server was killed - everything. I was suddenly terminal servered into my own machine. I couldn't even restart my machine :) I'm smart right, right? So I open the trust command line window again and type:

c:\> whoami
UNKNOWN

Shit shit shit... Hard reboot was my only way out - as I type this from my laptop, I can see that my machine has rebooted and is waiting for me to log back in. Adios...


1 comment:

  1. This is why you never run as an admin. :-)

    ReplyDelete