Tuesday, April 11, 2006

What a Monday!

After sleeping after 6 in the morning yesterday, I couldn't wake up in time for any morning appointments. When I eventually got in to work and reviewed the outcome of the night's labour, it made the effort worthwhile. I had pulled an all-nighter without the assistance of caffeine and was done with 2 reviews, that's a whole day's work done in one night - fair trade, sleep for productivity.

The rest of the day was a blur. I am tester of the week till Friday so a lot of my time was spent triaging failures. When I eventually got a chance to close out 2 bugs, it was past 5pm. Mondays and Wednesdays are practically useless work days because I the majority of time from 10 to 5 in meetings. The wise said that "procastrination is the thief of time"; I'd like to revise that truism and make it "meetings are the thief of time".

As far as I was concerned, the events of the day were the Previews before the Feature Presentation - the Queen concert. Karan is a huge fan of Queen, I grew up listening to their Greatest Hits album (the blue cover please, thank you) so both of us were looking forward to the show. After the debacle at the first Australian Pink Floyd Show, the two of us have made it a point to not make going to concerts a group event. We usually drive together and leave a few minutes earlier to ensure that we are in our seats before the stated hour so we don't miss a single beat.

The concert felt like a private gathering of Queen fans: the seats were limited (only the first level of the Key Arena was on sale) and pricey, but totally worth it. They say Queen without Freddie isn't Queen; I was initially peeved that Paul Rogers didn't even try to sing like Freddie. On further thought, I'm glad he didn't because it re-affirmed the fact that Freddie is inimitable. They played a lot of their greatest hits, some rare gems and finished with "We Are the Champions" after rocking for 2 and a half hour - a powerhouse performance by any standards. What I thought was special was the way they did Bohemian Rhapsody - a giant screen had Freddie sitting at the piano (like the music video), he sang while the live band played the music and the rest of us had goose bumps.

A hoarse voice, sore palms (you gotta clap through We Will Rock You), various Queen songs playing in my head and a whole lot of adrenaline pumping in my veins were all I had left when the music stopped. We walked to the car talking about the songs they didn't play, about Brian May's guitar skills, about how we got introduced to Queen, about ...

Did I say I got to bed at 5am?

No comments:

Post a Comment