Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Memories

What is life if we didn't form memories? Audio and video have a way of etching themselves indelibly on our psyche; tucked away in the deep recesses of our minds till they are triggered by a stray event, a random occurrence. We grow to trust our memories, begin to believe that our interpretation of how things occurred and/or how something sounded is accurate.

Imagine my surprise when I find that our memories often lie to us, are often our own interpretations of what things were. This realization, that the reality is so different from my memories, made me sit back and think, to reconsider what I considered set in stone. This didn't make sense; I have a photographic memory that hopefully records events as they occur, interprets audio without adding any veneers to it.

As I write this, a plausible explanation dawns on me. One way of looking at this disparity is that I'm at a different place in life right now ergo, I should respect my memory of a different time, take it at face value and treat it for what it's worth. What do I learn from this though? I believe there is no point in actually tracing back and determining whether reality is in sync with our interpretations, our memories. These are best enjoyed in their current form over a cup of tea and in the company of friends, both old and new!

No comments:

Post a Comment