Friday, December 30, 2005

Happiness?

I resolve to find happiness every year; make a list of resolutions at the start of the year and find ways to cross out items on my list. But the resolutions I make set me up for unhappiness, because some goals are almost always impossible to accomplish. In my pursuit for happiness, am I instead walking the road to unhappyville? I think I've found what I feel is the best way to find happiness in 2006, and I quote:
"Those only are happy," he came to believe, "who have their minds fixed on some object other than their own happiness; on the happiness of others, on the improvement of mankind, even on some art or pursuit, followed not as a means, but as itself an ideal end. Aiming thus at something else, they find happiness by the way." For our own culture, steeped as it is in the relentless pursuit of personal pleasure and endless cheer, that message is worth heeding.

So in these last days of 2005 I say to you, "Don't have a happy new year!" Have dinner with your family or walk in the park with friends. If you're so inclined, put in some good hours at the office or at your favorite charity, temple or church. Work on your jump shot or your child's model trains. With luck, you'll find happiness by the by. If not, your time won't be wasted. You may even bring a little joy to the world.
Hope this works for you too. For my own part, maybe now is a good time to learn to play that guitar I almost bought one day, be nice to others and work for a charity like unitedway. There you have it my friends, more lists, more unhappiness...

No comments:

Post a Comment