Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Is Life like Baseball?

I have read many an analogy between life and baseball; as an ardent follower of the game, I've only now started to understand and appreciate this next fact of the game:

"... think of baseball—even the very best of the best might get a hit only one out of three times they go to bat, which seems pretty pathetic when you consider that the whole point of the game is to get a hit and players receive immense compensation just to get hits."

Could this be true? Yes it is... Alex Rodriguez and David Ortiz are inarguably two of the most prolific hitters in the American League today and their batting averages are 0.290 and 0.340.

Where am I going with this? I've realized that my life can be construed as a string of journeys to the plate; I struck out on some occasions, I reached base on some others and I hit some home-runs. There have been times when I've been stranded in the hole or on base but now that I think about it all, I have a radically new perspective. I'd like to believe that my batting average is reasonable, 0.250 if I were to venture forth a guess. And that's above average, even good! Hmm, I have reason to be happy and reason to work hard at getting better. And now, to bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment